Friday 25 November 2011

Deeper not broader

I have been considering whether I give children enough time to complete their best work, or whether some of my methods of generating pace and covering the curriculum are actually robbing them of the chance to learn and express creativity.
We have nearly completed one term in Learning Pod. We have six curriculum areas to cover and in addition to that I have identified a need to focus on literacy, a need to develop awareness of proactive and positive digital citizenship and to develop thinking skills and social skills through explicit taught programmes of study. I also need to spend time experimenting with the iPods and learning how best to use them to promote quality learning.

How will we fit everything in to our 10 hour a week?

My current ideas for future planning are,

Concentrate on doing the right things well
Go deeper, not broader
Design curriculum based around the children's needs
Make space for questioning, thinking, discussing and being creative
Give pupils choices and ask them what they would like to learn
Focus on relationships not content
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment